Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Using Fire Eagle

Yesterday, I attended a press conference at Yahoo’s Brickhouse office. They announced the launch of Fire Eagle. It’s an API that allows you to post your current location on your blog or web site.

This morning, I wrote an entry posted on my professional blog about how I wouldn’t use Fire Eagle and that it’s really for the younger generation (and I got a little snippy). Because, you know, being in my late 30’s makes me an old man (and apparently a little gerpunkety).

This afternoon, I started using Fire Eagle. I logged in to outside.in Radar, paired up Fire Eagle with this blog, and viola, instantly my blog posts were appearing on Radar. It’s all location specific, so when I post about the Farmers’ Market, or Costco, or even businesses like TiVo, it picks it all up and places it in various spots on their site. It’s really pretty cool.


Reading Radar will tell you interesting stuff, like the fact that Rachael Ray just ate at Spruce, a restaurant within walking distance of my home. That falls into the interesting category and made me say, “Oh, that’s cool.”

Despite what I said this morning, I think I am going to use Fire Eagle. Why not?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Aren't you keeping up with the new technology! I'll be interested to see how this works.
And how in the world did Ray Ray get in to Spruce when I've been trying to get reservations off and on since they opened??
D