Friday, September 5, 2008

Whole Food's 365 Organic Coffee

It’s been over a month since I’ve discussed coffee. And in my book, that’s a month too long. Those of you following my coffee thread know that we last left off with the San Francisco brand of coffee. It was good, but it wasn’t all that, and it left us looking for more.

I’ve compared beer to coffee before; and I’ll do it again. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Gordon Biersch Marzen might be my two favorite beers, but every once in awhile I have to mix it up with a Fat Tire or even BevMo’s own Coastal Fog IPA. Like beer, you have to mix up your coffee, or you’ll get tired of it. Hence, I’m tired of French Roast and I’ve moved on.

Our latest is Whole Food’s 365 Organic Pacific Rim blend from Sumatra and Papua New Guinea. Now this stuff is good. The Pacific Rim blend has great flavor and has plenty of caffeine kick. Just because I’m over the French Roast does not mean I’m over caffeine. Caffeine is still a top priority in my choice of coffee and the Pacific Rim does not let me down. We are still using six tablespoons of the whole beans to make approximately five cups of coffee. The coffee cups we use at home are equivalent to two cups; so my wife and I are getting our fair share of coffee each and every morning.

Let me try and explain why coffee is so darn important in the morning. Caffeine is such a necessary ingredient when picking Cheerios up off the floor for the third time in 10 minutes and wiping milk off the table for the fourth time. Also, coffee goes great with changing diapers and wrestling with a 20-month old who would prefer wearing his diaper to daycare rather than get dressed. Coffee is just one of those things I would rather not see disappear from my life. It gets you through the screams and wails for Barney while you’re trying to pack lunches.

If that’s not a love letter to coffee, than I don’t know what would be…

1 comment:

swag said...

You really have to try fresh coffee sometime. Not the stuff that's been sitting on store shelves oxidizing for weeks. But something roasted in the past week -- from a local roaster who will stand behind their product so much that they will date-stamp its freshness.

Fresh coffee is like fresh baked bread. It goes stale. The smell of coffee is the smell of flavor escaping its beans.

It may cost an extra dollar or two to get the real deal, but isn't a fresh baked loaf of bread from the neighborhood bakery worth that extra cost relative to stale dinner rolls bound for the grade school cafeteria?